ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Monday, July 11, 2011

Chao Tao Fu (Stinky Tofu)

It’s been a while since I last posted. You might be thinking that something might have happened to me after I posted “Say No To Bersih 2.0 Rally”.

Nope I’m doing just fine. The bottom parts of my feet are recovering. I’m starting to go out again after staying so long at home. It’s a bit like physiotherapy, going out of the house and walking on the streets again.

I actually felt weird going out and seeing so many people again. It produced an almost dizzying effect on me. Crossing the road didn’t seem as natural as before too.

Man, 1 week of dormancy can really affect the body. So be sure to stay active and don’t just stay at home. Move that arse more often!

That day I went to Pasar Malam (Night market) with some of my buddies in Cheras. It was a Friday. The Pasar Malam was just beside Leisuremall. I think it’s called the Taman Putra Pasar Malam.

Anyway, we sat down to order food for dinner in the midst of the Pasar Malam, and suddenly I could make of this stench that smelled like nothing but shit. Seriously, I thought that the yellowish curry stain on the table was the source of that rank.

It was as though an invisible shit was right in front of me. No kidding man. And I was just about to have my dinner…

I was told that the smell was the trademark smell of Chao Tao Foo or Stinky Tofu. So I was determined to give it a try. Challenge accepted!

The stall was located at the far end of the Pasar Malam, about 200 or 300 meters away from my dinner spot. Wow. How overwhelmingly powerful is the stench of the mighty stinky tofu. Distance is not an obstacle.

Amazingly, the closer I got to the fermented tofu, the milder the smell. Maybe it’s just me? I don’t know for sure. But one thing is for sure, it’s a hot item on sale.

This thing was so popular that I had to wait in line to get a taste of this piece of shitty smell tofu.

RM 2.50 for 4 pieces of fried stinky tofu topped with pickled vege and chili sauce for the taste. Without the supplements, the tofu would have tasted a bit blend. I decided to ta pao and bring home to eat, and spread the omnipresent smell of the one and only tofu.

In the car, I placed the styrofoam packed tofu in front of the air-cond, in the process creating the most powerful Ambipure air freshener ever created in mankind. Almost instantaneously, the tofu conquered the air in the car and made it its territory. OHMYGOD. S.T.I.N.K.S.

At home, I faced the battle alone after rejections from family members to take on the stinky challenge. One stinky tofu by one stinky tofu made its way into the organ called the mouth. The smell was tolerable at point blanc. As I ate the shit away, I could feel the squishiness of the tofu laminating my mouth with its distinctive scent.

So yeah. If you haven’t tried it. Go try it and let me know your experience. Just a reminder, when you’re eating something that smells like shit, make sure you open your eyes so that you don’t mistaken it for a shit. You never know. Sometimes, shit happens. : []

5 comments:

  1. After many days such article have read and really enjoyed it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hai. Beautiful work. Write frequently and be beloved of others.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. Wordless comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Essential post. As rose in all flower. Keep writings. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete