ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Friday, December 17, 2010

People Studying

Some of you…
SmileOpen-mouthed smileWinking smileSurprised smileSmile with tongue outAngry smileDevilVampire batDon't tell anyone smileSleepy smileJust kidding


For the past couple of weeks, I have been doing it for more than half of my days. It’s really amusing to see how people react and respond to something. I have been to shopping malls, streets, colleges, etc. There’s always a certain pattern of responding or reacting, which are done by people unintentionally as much as intentionally.


Being a promoter allows me to do this. Everyday is a new study case for me. Truly, it is a lot of fun to sell something to the public; it grants me a license to talk to anybody and everybody. Somehow, meeting new people everyday is also a thing quite nice, and often times motivating, to me.


Fret not. I’m not those kind of credit card sellers who cling on to passersby like how stubborn stains cling on to shirts, at the same time hurling out almost inexplicably fast paced mumbling that can only rival that of the chipmunk (the cartoony type). No offence credit card sellers. I’m actually pointing out your good points.


I would try to gain your attention, and if I see a beacon of hope, I will try to go in for the kill, err sell. But, if I see the slightest negation from your body language or response, I would gladly and willingly let go.


Throughout the weeks, I’ve seen and heard many reactions to my approaching people.


Let’s see some responses given by strangers to me. Most of them apply to people passing or walking by. The following categories can apply to all of you as I’m sure you’ve been approached by people like me before. See which category you fall into.



some of you would say… 
Thumbs upTHANK YOU  

The truth is, I don’t understand you at all. People are misusing this phrase too much. Are we not infamous for being not courteous? I think this proves that Malaysians are a courteous lot. To those of you who said this to me, thank you in return (do not thank me back, this is no triple-threat). Although you should’ve said “no thank you”, I understand that you were just being polite. To those of you who use this phrase, keep up the good work.
  
some of you would do…
High five 
Thumbs upTHE SILENT ONE PALM UP  

This is another way to say nay. This method of responding is alright to me. At least you acknowledge me by raising an open palm. You may mean to say “stop”, or perhaps you’re used to being chased too much by those credit card sellers that you automatically raise a hand every time somebody approaches you. (Again, no offense credit card sellers) However true it may be, I still respect you for reacting like this as it will not offend me at all. I’m okay with that. The thing is, I think sometimes it may be a bit misleading. Many a time when you do that, you don’t have eye-contact with me, so it makes reading your mind difficult. Could it be that you want a high, or should I say middle five? Could it be that you actually mean wait, I’ll come back later? Or could it be that you’ll bring five friends back? I guess I’ll never know.
  
some of you…
I don't know smile 
Thumbs downSTARES BLANKLY 

Some of you do this. Hmm, the blank stare is quite frightening. Some of you actually squint your eyes while doing it, making it double scary. I think those who do it must’ve forgotten their spectacles. After doing the stare at the product at hand, you would just turn your head forward again, only because your neck limit disallows you to stare no further. This reaction is kinda comical in a way. It’s as though you are constantly fascinated by something and by staring and walking past it you satisfy your fascination.
  
some of you would say… 
Thumbs upNO 

Saying no is actually quite uncommon, but not rare. Once a while, some of you would say this to me.  I’m already used to it. Once, a girl was singing along softly and when I showed her the product she sang out “no”. Saying no is just another way of rejection, which is like the rate of courtesy in Malaysia in the sales world. Ironically, those of you who said this weren’t rude at all. It was a bitter news put on matter-of-factly but not at all insolent. It’s a good way of rejecting something right on the spot, giving neither false hopes nor false fears. Straightforward, to the point, that’s who you are. Perhaps adding a small “thank you” at the hind would be better. Don’t you think so?
  
some of you would do…
Pointing up 
Thumbs downTHE NUMBER 1 HAND SIGN
Also done silently, this is actually like pointing upwards or extending the index finger from a fist. This is also one pretty confusing reaction. You seem like you’re saying “Aha, this thing, I know”. As most of you are doing this, your eyes would also bulge a bit, giving the impression of surprise and awe. But thereafter you just walk away. This is what I call giving false hope. By doing this, you might also be saying “hold on a minute” or “be right back in a second”. Either way, it doesn’t translate to a solid “no”. Heck, you don’t even shake your index finger while doing the number 1 hand sign. That would be much more meaningful. That, I would take as a rejection.
  
some of you would show…
Boy  
Thumbs downThumbs downNO REACTION 



This, this I really disrespect(deserves a double thumbs down). You walk past me without acknowledging my presence, without even looking at me. Yeah, I know that some of you think that you’re so great, you don’t even bother to be bothered by “peasants” like me. Come on, you don’t even look like much. Some of you just have the air in you, but nothing inside. This is the worse kind of response of all. You may have bad experiences with promoters before or cheated into some kind of scam. Yes, that may explain it all. Still, that’s not a reason to behave that way. There would always be some bad apples in a batch of apples. That explains the way you treat sellers who tries to show you something, whether it’s good or bad. As much as you disrespect me, I respect you for that. You are the ones who taught me the veracity of respect. But be warned that if that’s how you treat people, that’s how people will treat you too. What goes around comes around. Just watch the world go round. (it goes around and comes around, get it?) Hahaha. On a serious note, consider getting a hearing aid, you may be suffering from hearing loss, “no reaction” you.
  
some of you would…
Winking smile 
Thumbs downDO WEIRD EXPRESSIONS 

These people are natural clowns. Personally, I think you are slightly peculiar. You look at me. That’s good. But you then show me weird expressions. That’s not cool. Some of you would wink at me, especially the older ones. I don’t really get what you’re trying to tell me. Should I wink back to you? This generally applies to men. Some of you would show me a double wink (both eyes at the same time). Now that’s weirder.
  
some of you…
Smile 
Thumbs upSMILE FOR A SECOND  

This is actually a fake smile. You smile for a second, and by the next second, the smile is gone. It’s a good habit nonetheless. Do you know that one way to smile more is to smile when you see anybody? Even when you don’t feel like smiling, forcing one can actually make your more smile-y in the future. Go try it out! Smile whenever you make eye-contact, even when you face your adversary. Now that’s challenging.
  
some of you would say… 
Thumbs upWHAT’S THIS? 

This response I like. You show that you’re genuinely interested and have an open mind. Nowadays, people who give response like this is rare indeed. “What’s this” people are a rare breed. Their minds are not as barricaded as other people’s. There should be more people with this kind of disposition – curious, explorative. The sad thing is, many people have thick and high barriers around their minds. They block off any sort of new ideas and ideology. There’s only one thing to blame – the nasty world.


Next time you see somebody promoting something, think of how you would react. Have fun studying people too, and remember to smile always.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, Chi Liang. We were just talking about it and not long after that, you actually finished writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I actually told you it was just waiting to be posted. =)

    ReplyDelete