ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Friday, December 24, 2010

1 Malaysia “Koperasi” Run 2010

DSC01739
The (quite awful) T-shirt design

It was last Sunday, 19th of December 2010, when Thaya and I took part in the 1 Malaysia “Koperasi” Run. This was the first time we ran 7 km, 2 km more than our previous run. Wow, in retrospect, I can’t believe I could actually run that far. It was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Last time around, the 1 Malaysia Run which was 5 km long took us 38 minutes to complete. And I was told by my mom that I was pathetically slow. Thank you mom.

This time, due to the additional 2 km, I had roughly estimated my time to be approximately 1 hour. But guess what, my friend and I did way better than we expected.

We clocked in at 42 minutes. 42 minutes to finish a 7 km run! That’s averagely 1 km every 6 minutes. Not bad at all. *nose held high*. I guess those walking breaks really did work.




This was really unexpected, especially for us tyros who had nil experience of running long runs besides the 1 Malaysia Run. We were surely faster than our previous run of 38 minutes. To make sure it wasn’t a dream, I asked my friend to punch me in ma face. Just kidding.

However, if we compare our achievements to those of the winners, it’s really discouraging if not shameful, much like comparing dirt to gold. The top runners actually clocked in at 27 or 28 minutes! That’s like half of our time. =.=. *Digs hole and buries head.*



DSC01725
DSC01727
DSC01729
DSC01733
These pictures were taken at the end of the race. I’m trying to deviate from the norm by posting the pictures from the end to the start. Somehow it’s counter intuitive but cool right?

Actually, I didn’t take any pictures at the start of the run. Why? Because I didn’t have time.

Thaya and I tried to register on that day itself, hoping that the registration fee would be waived. Yes, I’m that kiam siap. Honestly, the fee is quite high as RM 20 is not a penny.

Our hopes were in vain…Not only did we have to pay and register on that day, our ingenious stratagem resulted in us joining the run 5 minutes later than the rest of the runners in the same category.

The run started right on time, 7:30 am, as stated in the form. I was somewhat baffled and astonished at this. Where was the Malaysian mentality that we Malaysians are so famous for? This was so different compared to the 1 Malaysia Run which started 1 hour later than expected. A reason for me to put the blame on the 1 Malaysia Run.
DSC01737
Certificate and medal for RM 20. Hmm...

DSC01738
Big bling blings.

Oh yeah, I got another nameless running cert, plus a finisher medal, YAY! Apparently my friend and I were two of the lucky top 50 to finish the run. I finished at number 44. This was something really serendipitous. Quite amazing considering that we had a 5-minutes self inflicted handicap, thanks to our procrastination.
DSC01734
Looks like patches of bald muddy ground...

DSC01735
maybe it needs Yun Nam hair care.

The venue of the run – Padang Merbok. Personally, I don’t really like the place. It was so muddy at the starting part that it smelled mud. Eww. Not a good idea to kickstart the race like that, and certainly not a good place to breathe in fresh unadulterated air.
DSC01731
toad singer
Croak...croak...I think I hear something.

Surprisingly, there was also entertainment after the run. Some young “talents” were strutting out their stuff on the mini stage. They were heard belting out a few famous Malay numbers. It was quite a fiasco really. But hey, they enjoyed themselves, and that’s the most important thing.
1 malaysia auntie

auntie 1 malaysia
The 1 Malaysianist auntie up close.

I had seen this auntie before at one of the runs. I think she did run in the 1 Malaysia Run too. Look at her. How spirited she was to carry the heavy self-made flag with all those 1 Malaysia paraphernalia. Maybe she’s trying to convey a particular political message? I hope that auntie knows that the slogan “1 Malaysia” is currently banned in advertisements by the Selangor government.  Now how ridiculous it that? Pray you know auntie, for this can be considered as an advertisement too.

Unknowingly, I have posted the term 1 Malaysia innumerable times in this post. Man, I’m certainly asking for trouble.

Merry Christmas and Happy double-1-Malaysia New Year! (you heard it first at The Cock and The Bull)


p.s. I’m suppose to attend a B.B.Q. at a friend’s place tonight but it’s raining right now. Hopefully the rain will stop soon. Santa, if you exist, please hear my call.

No comments:

Post a Comment