ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Monday, May 9, 2011

Hot stuff!

My oh my! Global warming is making its mark. The temperature in Shah Alam and perhaps the whole of Malaysia is at record’s high, and it is neither caused by hot girls, nor hot magazines.


Rain rain go away,
Come again another day.


This is something I used to sing whenever it rained when I was younger. Hmm, how I wish that “another day” could be today, or tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.


Now I find myself singing…
Rain rain come my way,
Go elsewhere another day.


It’s funny how a simple song we sing in our childhood years can seem to play a joke on us.


Either you are a cactus or you haven’t noticed, the mercury level in Malaysia is sky-rocketing to an intolerable and unbearable level. I feel like I’m in a desert. The omnipresent sun scorches everything under the sun. To add insult to injury, it hasn’t rained for many days already. I can sense a draught setting in soon.


Rain God, please break your bowels and unleashed your blessings upon us, before a child is sacrificed.
Behold…the weather of the city of Shah Alam, the place I currently resides, my second home.


shah alam weather
Source: Google
Today is Monday. Lookie. It surged to a high of 36 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. Wow, I wonder if I felt any hotter in my whole life. The temperature at night suppose to be 26 degrees Celsius but it shows 29. That explains why I was literally working out on my bed. Like everyone else, I had a hard time sleeping yesterday because of the extreme heat. I remembered sweating profusely whilst having dinner on Sunday night.


SA weather forecast
Source: www.met.gov.my
What we can see here is a weather forecast by the Malaysian Meteorological Department. From the many suns in the forecast, we know that this problem will go on and on until the end of this week, when rain is predicted to fall on this then barren ground on Sunday. Wow, that’s quite a long way to go. By then I would have lost some weight due to lost of bodily fluid and become even skinnier than my skinny condition now.


Everybody is complaining about the heat. What to do? Sweat is coming out of our bodies like mucus coming out of a running nose. What to do? Surely there are some ways to keep cool and stay cool.


Here are some home remedies to stay cool and cold.


1. Drink lots of water.
Make sure water is a hand’s length away so your could lazily reach out to your water bottle and drink away like a camel every 5 minutes. By the way, what I meant by water is plain water, either cold or room temperature. Don’t bother drinking air suam, or milo panas, or kopi panas, unless you like sweating.


2. Minimize movement.
One way to stay cool and prevent your body from over-heating is to minimize your movements. Avoid moving around too much. If possible, be immobilize and stay still. So make sure a water source is near enough that you don’t have to travel a distance to get water.


3. Turn off the lights.
Besides saving power and showing your support for the Green campaign, by switching off the lights you could be lowering down the temperature in the room. Light emits heat. So sleeping early is a good choice too, considering the difficulty of inducing sleep on a bed that makes you sweat even more.


4. Sleep on the floor.
It’s important to go back to basics when things get too complicated. The bed may not be the wisest option to opt for in this steaming hot condition. You would just wet your bed. Instead, make the floor your bed for a few days. You’ll start to feel the soothingly cold touch of the floor tiles on your flesh.


5. Repeat steps 1-4.
I think the heat is affecting me. Can’t….think….no….more.


Gosh, I’m starting to sweat again. Have to minimize hand movements as well.


Enjoy the remainder of the hot days. It may be the only time for some of you to feel HOT and don’t feel bad about telling others.

No comments:

Post a Comment