ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Pirates of the Carib-bean: All hands on deck, set to the bean!

Mateys of the seven seas (or the invisible (inter)net),

So luck struck me this past Thursday as I got summoned by Davy Jones himself to his fully furnished cinematic locker to enjoy the latest Pirate flick to his the world – Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger’s Tide.

Why was I lucky? Well, it’s because I got access to a special screening of the very-soon-to-be blockbuster of the year (I hope), and all that in a very 3 dimensional way, in KLCC.

Sometimes I don’t like how technology these days play around with our minds and… eyes.

It just didn’t feel natural. Like we’re not born to do those kind of thing. I wonder whether it will become a thing of the future……Maybe it’s just me.

I got two free tickets so I watched it with my bro. Brotherhood time.

With huge set of popcorn and an (almost) equally huge cup of soft drink, which was obviously diluted, we sank into the comfy maroon cushioned chairs.

About the movie itself, it was nothing to hoo-haa about.

Yeah, as usual we have the idiosyncratic Jack Sparrow, who is as agile as a sparrow but clumsy as a bear.

This time however, without a ship or crew, he is truly on stranger’s tide.

The fountain of youth is the main focus of the movie, as everyone (the Spanish, the English and Blackbeard representing the pirates) race toward the mythical but very true salubrious water.

The story line was interesting but a bit messy, covering different leads and crossing lines between the adversaries. Most of the events are somewhat predictable, so suspense isn’t much around.

Just the usual trolling and satire that we would laugh at. Not to mention the appearance of innocent looking, nubile mermaids that defy conventional fairy tales and will stare you in the eye while contemplating your dea…… Don’t wana spoil to fun here.

But there is one thing about the main mermaid that I couldn’t get out of my mind.

No, it’s not the fact that she is almost nude all the time. In fact she is nude all the time, with her hair covering her womanly parts. The bottom part, of course, is covered in scales.

The really funny thing is that on land, the mermaid in question suddenly has legs. Tail? No more. Yup. And she even tried to walk.

Weird huh? Mermaid with legs? Since when?

And after returning back to the water, the tail suddenly appeared again, replacing the legs. So I guess it shows that the mermaid is an amphibian that adapts to her surroundings, being able to change from one attribute to the other, along with physical manipulation.

I couldn’t agree more that there’s much diversity to the characters. There’s even a clergyman in there, with a bible. Such anachronism! But what an ending to this noble man!

Using the English (Pirate) version on Facebook made me more aware of the pirate language they used in the movie. Quite fascinating, really.

It’s like they have their own grammar or something.

At the end of the story, piracy still rules. Although the philosophies and moral values are not lacking, I wonder what the might of piracy in the movie is trying to convey.

Imagine getting the pirate movie in a pirated version. Now that’s what I call a trolling, and maybe overt symbolism of the real might of piracy in the real world as well.

Oh, and there’s a special something after the credits.

I actually waited for that, but the credits were way too long. So I waited not.

According to this movie review in a popular newspaper, the after-credits is not something that one could cry for after missing it. In a way, I’m relieved.

Aye! Lower the long boats and set to the beach, err bed…

If you like pirates like I do, you would enjoy the movie for sure. If not, there are plenty of other attractions in the movie (think mermaids) that would shake the sleep out of you.

So do check out this pirated movie.

 

Disclaimer: This pirate here isn’t raising the flag of in the name of piracy in any kind or way. What you landlubbers choose to do, whether relating to piracy or not, is up to your fancy, and none of my ship’s business. Just a note: when in a captain’s ship, mark your captain’s words.

No comments:

Post a Comment