ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Thursday, January 6, 2011

walking on water, pouring of water

Water water everywhere.


I was quite busy adapting back to hostel life for the past few days, which explains the non-presence of posts. Plus, the university applications are  a real headache, especially the common applications. The common app is suppose to ease students’ application process, but from my observation and personal experience, that is not a case. It simply ain’t helping, instead it creates the need for more help. Going to the US to further studies requires many skills. It’s like going through an obstacle courses. I think I should not digress further, perhaps I’ll dedicate 1 whole post for this topic.


Water seems to be the theme of the week. I had been literally walking on water for the first two days in my hostel. The reason, the clogged toilet. Nope, it wasn’t the toilet bowl that was clogged, thankfully, but the floor of the toilet. And yes, it’s a 2 in 1 thing, the toilet bowl and the shower are in the same bathroom, if you’re wondering.


On my second day back in my hostel, after I washed off the shampoo off my head and was getting ready for the soap, I noticed clouds of foam surrounding the toilet bowl. It was quite beautiful, like cumulonimbus cloud.


Alas, the toilet was clogged. Nothing seemed to be flowing into that “hole” anymore. So a mini swimming pool was form. Panic stricken, I quickly showered the remaining soap on my body. If it weren’t for the raised entrance to the bathroom, the water could have flooded my “living room”. On top of that, the shower head also went missing, presumably stolen by some low lives which I don’t want to mention. I don’t really know who took it away but I reckon it wasn’t for a good purpose.


In fact, many things went missing from my hostel room. Broom, broom-bin (I don’t know what is it called), washing detergent, sponge, brush, and of course the shower head. Everything me and my room mates left behind for 2 months were gone. As though by magic, we found the brush (with the long stick handle) leaning against the wall 1 floor below us. Maybe all the stuff are separated around the compound, and a treasure hunt was needed to acquire our missing possessions.


The first week of college up till now is satisfying and exuberating. It rained every day, most of the time in the evening. But today was even special, it started raining when I was still deep in slumberland, and continued to be so until about 10 am. That was many hours of rain. Today the showerhead was fixed, a metallic one.


There were many changes in my college. Somehow, it was also a punny week. All of these puns were p-un-intentional.


The identities of the following characters are not revealed to protect their privacy, and unless I want to get into a BIG trouble.
Lecturer: “Get me a coffee.”
Student: “Which coffee?”
Lecturer: “Nescafe.”
Student: “Which café?” (referring to which canteen)
Lecturer: “Nescafe.”
Student: “From which café?” (now looking funnily at the lecturer)
Lecturer: “……, anyone will do.”
Then the whole class raptured with guffaw.


The second pun was quoted from another lecturer. Hmm, I think lecturers nowadays are naturally gifted pun-makers.


The class was on the topic of coffee, and then said the lecturer,
“Coffee is not my cup of tea.”
Coincidentally, coffee was the subject of the puns. So I guess coffee is naturally punny too.


There were also some popular phrases created and now becoming a common quote amongst students and lecturers alike.


“Don’t you dare” is one of them. Note that it’s done dramatically with full full facial expression.


Another one would be “Don’t assume,” which is done with a warning tone.


In a seashell (in coping with the water element), it is a watery week. I guess that’s all for now. I have to go to an interclass futsal tourney and worry about my university applications.

2 comments:

  1. i experienced exactly the same thing, the clogged toilet back then when we're staying at the previous room. ahh that was SO frustating! so got it fixed by now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah it was quite frustrating. I became a nomad bather for a couple of days. Now it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete