ChillsQuote of the Week

"Life is too short to be little."
~Disraeli

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, New Day

2011
New Year 2011!
Happy New Year everybody! I hope its not yet too late. After all, it’s only the third day of the new year. So have you done your new year resolution? How we hate that question right? Why do we have to have a new year resolution every time there’s a new year. We can always start with a new day resolution. But I guess it’s a tradition.

Alright, hooray new year. Good news and bad. Yes there are bad news too. It also means  that you’re 1 year older. How’s that?

While trying to search a suitable image to put on my post for the new year, I image googled “new year”. I half expected to see 2011 or new year celebrations. Guess what was the first picture Google gave me?
HappyNewYear (1)
Google search "new year" result

Yeah, this is the picture. Oh my god, how did this ranked first in Google image search? Hmm, so what does this say about the people nowadays? I think most of you would be looking somewhere else instead of the “Happy new year” painted somewhere in the pic.




While many of you were counting down to another new day and year, I stayed at home. It’s not that I didn’t want to join in the fun, but a sudden bout of flu or cold (I don’t know which, it’s so confusing) struck me. Ahh Choooo!! Bless me.

2011 is the year right? That’s what we all think is correct. However, there is something about our calendar that most of the people out there are not aware of. The veracity of this fact was aired in Discovery Channel quite some time ago.

The truth is, our calendar is off by about 4 or 5 years! Believe it or not, this year could’ve been 2006 or 2007 instead of 2011.
todays dateb
source: todaysdate.com

Scholars surmised that some historical figures miscalculated the calendar long time ago, resulting in this false impression that’s staring us in the face year after year.

One year was skipped because somebody forgot to include the year 0 in the calendar. Think about it. Yes, the year 0 was forsaken. This mistake is akin to omit the number 0 when moving from –1  to 1. After 1 BC, the next year was marked 1 AD, hence the missing 0.


0 lost


But who cares, it’s still a new year anyway, and this flaw in our calendar is really insignificant. All things related to time, if not everything, are man made; we created days, hours, minutes, seconds, and years. All these are impressions of mankind that became the standard of measurement. So technically, we’ll never be wrong.

Today actually marks a momentous day for me as I completed the migration. I’m now back in my hostel in Shah Alam. Still, my home is not too far away, only 1 hour drive away. But it’s a migration nonetheless, of the physical and the soul. A new semester is reckoning, and by the rumors of it, it’s gonna be one good heck of a new semester.

A new year, a new day.
A new semester awaits.



No comments:

Post a Comment